The Syria Report is launching a search for a new Managing Editor who will assume the role on September 01, 2023, when the current ME will leave. Journalistic experience is not necessary, nor is a strong economic background. However, you need to be able to write and edit clearly, have already worked on Syria/the Middle East, and be based in the Middle East or in Europe.
The managing editor plays a central role in The Syria Report’s production cycle. He/she will collaborate with other members of the editorial and management teams, develop ideas, and edit articles and other types of content published on the website. As a writer he/she will also write weekly articles as well as periodic reports. The managing editor reports to the editor-in-chief.
Duties and tasks
As managing editor, you will be expected to perform all reasonable and appropriate tasks to assist the production cycle of The Syria Report as per the direction of the editor-in-chief and in close cooperation with other team members. Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Helping develop and structure ideas.
- Compiling research from various sources.
- Editing articles and reports.
- Writing articles and reports.
- Rewriting material in line with in-house style; structural and stylistic editing for clarity of meaning and argument.
- Copy-editing for grammar, usage, spelling and punctuation.
Qualifications and skills
- Experience of 5+ years working on Syria and/or the Middle East.
- Native or near-native English speaker.
- Good command of spoken and written Arabic.
- Good economic literacy.
- Ability to work remotely.
- Candidates must be based in the Middle East or in Europe.
- Type: Full-time
- Contract duration: Open-ended
- Salary: Based on experience
- Location: Remote work but with ability to travel to the Middle East.
- Starting date: September 01, 2023
- Send a CV, a cover letter, and writing/editing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Recommendation letters are welcome.
- Deadline: April 28, 2023